Time for an upgrade


At Service Olympians, we realize purchasing a new furnace, AC, or water heater is no small matter. However, if your existing system is old, in need of repair, or simply inefficient, purchasing a new unit can offer long-term benefits. If your equipment is more than 10 years old, here are reasons to consider trading it in for a more efficient model.

Are you experiencing continuous repairs?

An aging furnace, AC, or water heater may start to show its age even with proper maintenance. You should determine your repair spending cut off point. If your repair estimate is close to your predetermined budget threshold, it may be best to start researching new equipment before you experience a breakdown. Just like with an old car, how expensive does a repair need to be before it’s not worth repairing it?

Is your equipment keeping you comfortable?

You already know your comfort will be compromised if your AC, furnace, or water heater is not working properly. Have you ever wanted to spend more time in the basement over the summer because it is so much cooler down there? Do you ever run out of hot water in the middle of a shower? Did you know that old furnaces can leak Carbon Monoxide? Carbon Monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas that can cause nausea and dizziness. Carbon Monoxide Poisoning is arguably the biggest danger of an old gas furnace because overexposure to this gas is deadly.

High energy bills?

For most homeowners, heating and cooling your home costs you money. Energy.gov estimates heating and cooling may account for up to half of a typical home’s total energy use. As a result, a homeowner should make every effort to increase the energy efficiency of their HVAC equipment.

While there are a variety of reasons and potential fixes that can increase your energy efficiency, one of our highly trained experts might talk to you about that the AFUE (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency) of your gas furnace being the primary cause of these excessive costs. AFUE is a rating given by the government to determine the efficiency of your furnace only. You may have also heard the term SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) used before, which is a rating for your air conditioner. In either case, the most important thing to remember is that the higher the number, the more efficient your equipment.

For example, an older gas furnace with an AFUE rating of 70 percent means that only 70 percent of its fuel is used to heat your home. The remaining 30 percent may escape through the chimney or exhaust. That means that up to 30 percent of the energy used to run your furnace may be wasted. A high-efficiency model can offer higher AFUE ratings of up to 98% and could provide significant energy efficiency and savings on utilities.

If you feel like your monthly energy bill is higher than it should be, then it might be time to trade in your old equipment for a new, more efficient model. Contact us today to schedule your savings!